Although moving house is generally a positive step, the actual move can be very stressful, with so many things to organise. There’s the new property, which must be prepared in advance, and the old home also needs to be readied for the new occupants, which involves terminating the utility accounts and clearing any remaining bills. In order to make things easier, here is a checklist to ensure you don’t overlook anything when preparing to relocate.
- Confirm the Move Dates – Assuming you already have chosen a removal company to handle the task, you will need to confirm your dates with them. They understand how things can change, and generally request confirmation about one week before the big day. If you have yet to find a suitable contractor, an online search can help. You might, for example, be looking for cheap removalists in Brisbane, and Google will direct you to a few potential companies.
- Utility Check – This is something to be completed before the date of the move, and it does involve a bit of legwork, as you must contact the various providers and inform them of the move. Electricity and water are the main people to contact, but don’t forget your phone and Internet provider. Of course, whether or not you will continue to use the same provider depends on where you are moving to, but either way, you need to let them, know. This also applies to the new residence, as you want to be sure you are hooked up on the day of the relocation.
- Essential Services – This is perhaps the one thing that gets overlooked. You might, for example, have a landscape gardener who you regularly use, or perhaps an electrician who lives nearby, and any service you have an arrangement with should either be informed of your new address, or that you no longer require their services.
- The Old Property – This should be cleaned after the removal team have finished, and it is always a good idea to have a final tour of the house, to ensure that you haven’t forgotten a wall painting or something that missed your attention. It is likely your real estate agent is the one to be holding the keys, and with the utilities terminated, the property is ready for handover.
- The New Home – Obviously, you will need a set of keys, which should be arranged in advance, along with the utility connections, and the property should be cleaned prior to the move, if at all possible. This is the best time for a spring clean, and providing you have the keys in advance, why not send over a party to prepare the building for your arrival?
If you made the right choice with the removal company, they will take the strain out of the move, and with everything arranged, you can relax and oversee the operation. Don’t forget to provide some refreshment for the removal team, who will definitely need it, and once everything is loaded up, you can leave behind your fond memories and look forward to a new chapter in your life.